Friday 11 November 2016

Antigone Response #3

10 October 2016 

Today we explored the relationship between Antigone's brothers, Eteocles and Polynices. Mr. Chipp instructed us in one way of constructing unique physical theatre pieces concerning these two characters or otherwise. 

This was the method we learned: 

1. Stand in a circle and start to describe the person standing to your left using spoken language -"she is wearing a necklace". The point in doing this as a warm up for the actual activity was to notice the more obscure things about the person you're describing that you would ignore in day to day life. 

2. Next, translate these descriptions into hand gestures. For example, if the person was wearing shoes, I would bend down and create an imaginary shoe shape around my own foot. Another example, is if the person was wearing a hood, you would mime a hood over your own head. 

3. Other areas that you can explore are: speed, breath, and the physical depth and width of your gestures. We discussed the fact that once these gestures and movements were created, we could make them more fluid and loop them. 

I think that this type of physical theatre would be extremely effective in creating a sort of sign language. I felt like every move I made had a meaning behind it because it linked directly to the person I was describing. It was almost as if I became that person in a sense because I was "clothing" myself in their physical appearance. It also was an incredibly effective way of creating gestures that you may not have otherwise come up with on the top of your head. 







No comments:

Post a Comment